Sunday, May 30, 2004

Cliffhanger

Wednesday, May 26/04

I’m sitting like a princess atop a fluffy bed at the Park Hyatt in Melbourne. Big downy pillows and lovely duvet, I mean dooner, as the Aussies would call it. No synthetic hotel bedspreads here!

So, if everything’s so dreamy why did I have a good cry today? It was the darndest thing. We flew here today from Sydney, where we played 3 nights in a row at the State Theater, lovely place. I woke up with the early signs of a bug of some kind on the day of the third show there. It’s inevitable that we will all get sick while on tour here and there, but I was dismayed to fall prey to illness so soon in the proceedings. I took all the remedies I could and sang through it just fine for the show that night. The next morning (which was yesterday) I felt dizzy and horrid and was very glad we had the day off. I spent it in bed. No more sightseeing for me. Oh well. I’m glad I took a walk around the Sydney Opera House and surrounding gardens when we first arrived. I saw hundreds of bats hanging from trees waiting for the witching hour. I saw more fabulous plants and trees and birds. I’ve discovered that vegetation really interests me. I seem to photograph it a lot. People look at me funny in parks but I pretend I’m with the Botanical Society. I’ve also been photographing birds like a madwoman, but not just any birds... I’m looking for something specific. My new album comes out this August, and on it is a song called “Low Flying Bird”. I’ve been on a mission to get the ultimate photograph of a low flying bird for the album artwork. I must have 50 pictures of birds now, and with the variety of birds we’ve been seeing in our travels it will be hard to choose just one.

Back to my good cry:

So, I felt like a bag of ---- yesterday and thankfully awoke feeling less dizzy for our flight here to Melbourne today. Before I knew it I was checked into this fabulous, sexy art deco/modern hotel and went down to the gym for a workout. The decor here is so sleek I didn’t notice a marble wall until I smacked my head into it in the ladies’ changeroom. I should sue. Anyway, add the shock of smacking my head to residual self-pity from being sick, throw in missing my husband extra big time today, plus a little PMS for good measure and you get Kathryn Rose locking herself into a stall in the ladies’ changeroom at the Melbourne Park Hyatt for a good cry.

Then I went and worked out.

Tonight I just returned from dinner with Luke, David Kershaw and Jenny, a woman we met on the long flight to Australia. We had a fabulous Thai banquet. I have to go to sleep now in the interest of truly regaining my health for the show tomorrow night, but next time I’ll tell you how I met Gene Simmons last week.

How’s that for a cliffhanger?!

Nighty night...

xo KR.

ps: It’s definitely autumn in Melbourne now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home