Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Oh, Marc Anthony

WEATHER REPORT:

Toronto is gripped by the clutches of a snowstorm. Monty (you remember Monty, my laptop?) and I are sitting at the kitchen table with a view of falling snow. The zipper from a hoodie is whipping around noisily in the dryer. It's nice to be home and warm. Touring-Schmooring!

ODD BUT TRUE:

Last week David and I came across an online news story with the headline: "Indian Village Boy's NASA Claim Crashes to Earth". To summarize: apparently a 17-year-old Indian villager fooled all kinds of officials and the media into believing he had won first prize in a NASA science exam that doesn't exist. He drew up his own winning "NASA Certificate". He said he stayed at Buckingham Palace while taking the exam. He told all kinds of bold lies. He was just on the fast track to becoming a national hero, with recognition from his President, the Uttar Pradesh state government rewarding him with a 500,000 rupee prize and more than 100 members of the state's upper house each donating a day's salary to him, when his story began to unravel. Now the boy has returned to his village of Narhai and is under police investigation.

Oh, so close! A for Effort, I say. I do not endorse pathological lying as a means to get ahead but as an independent artist I know that without resourcefulness you might as well give up. (You know what else is weird? Oprah is on in the background right now and today she's doing a show on pathological liars. That's weird.)

NOTE TO MARC ANTHONY:

Oh, Marc Anthony. I don't know who told you it would be a good idea to do a duet with your wife Jennifer Lopez on the Grammys this year, but thank you for providing Saturday Night Live with ample fodder for a sketch showcasing my favourite elements of the debacle: the re-creation of the excellent 1970's Variety TV Show-style set from your Grammys performance as your actual home layout, with you coming home from the Grammys and continuing your duet, showing that you are a gifted singer and that your wife is, well, not. ("How was that, Marc Anthony?" ..."Oh, J-Lo, maybe you do not sing the note, but you sing all the notes around the note and you are so beautiful.") Loretta Lynn and Jack White coming over for post-Grammys snacks ("Where are you Jack?"... " Right here, ma'am, Yes, ma'am...") was an added bonus.

LOOK WHAT YOU DID:

The "Kathryn Rose" CD started out at #8 on the Top 10 Best Sellers at Maple Music (my online distributor) right out of the gate. It then went to #7 and is now at #6! You can see their Top 10 on the Home page at www.maplemusic.com

That's because of you. Thanks everyone who has ordered it so far. If you are thinking of ordering it, please do and keep me Charting!

THE ESSAY. NOT JUST FOR PUBLIC SCHOOL ANYMORE:

Here is something I wrote to explain what makes this CD a concept album, song by song. This little 'essay' will be part of my new press kit for the media. I wrote it for fun just for myself at first (you know me, I like the writing!) and then I sent it to my manager to see what he thought of it. He liked it so much he said we should put it in the press kit because music journalists might find it useful when they go to write reviews of the CD. I thought I'd post it here in case any of you find it interesting. The parts of this essay that appear "LIKE THIS" are the song titles.

THE THIRD SOLO CD BY KATHRYN ROSE, IN HER OWN WORDS:

The first song sets the scene: there has been a breakup of a major love relationship in my recent past. When you meet me on this album, I am standing stock still on a busy downtown street in the middle of the day, paralyzed by the feelings I’m still carrying around for this person. I’m asking you to be my witness while I vow not to be "BEHOLDEN" to him any longer.

Easier said than done. Until I really turn the corner, I’ll continue to make the classic mistake women make in thinking they can change a man. You have just caught me red-handed trying and failing to turn one poor unsuspecting candidate into "SOME OTHER KIND OF MAN", a hybrid of my Ex and what I think I really want in a man.

A short time in the future and I think I’m ready to take what I’ve learned and date again. Three verses later I have:
(1) had my head examined for being with one guy who might as well have invented the “Jackass” Series,
(2) narrowly escaped the quicksand of nostalgia for my Ex again, and
(3) am about to have a date with a man who seems mature, soft spoken, self sufficient, sexy... He seems great. Will I mess it up? Will it work out? It’s a "CLIFFHANGER."

The Misadventures In Dating continue:
A man I have always found attractive who has flirted mercilessly with me from afar suddenly takes me out and sings my praises. Could this be my lucky day? Is he finally available? Our hot first kiss is even better than the fantasy. He tells me how amazing I am. Then he tells me there’s someone else... He just met her 2 weeks ago, she’s from out of town but she’s moving here soon, so... The room starts to spin... I go home and write it down. It requires no analysis, it’s all there in black and white. This song is a word-for-word quote of his mixed messages, no joke. My only artistic license: we’ll call her “YELLOWKNIFE”.

My world view is starting to suffer. Maybe I’m too quick to blame others when things don’t work out. Maybe I need to retrace my steps. I start thinking about the relationships I may have sabotaged over the years in favour of my career, or out of pride, the folly of youth... In my mind’s eye I see my ruined attempts at love as a "LOW FLYING BIRD" that I shot out of the sky, like a hunter who kills for sport instead of necessity.

Enter some truly dark nights of the soul. I indulge in a winter of isolation, a hopeless spring, a joyless summer. It’s not just my love life. People offer to lavish public attention upon my work and then attach labels to me that I can’t live down. I dream about a flood. "FAME & SHAME" seem to be bedfellows. I stay up night after night looking out the window for a message from a "DEEPSPACE SATELLITE".

Autumn. What year is it? How long was I in the coma? I don’t know what has changed but I feel like I’m waking up. All I know is that I have now been broken up with my Ex for longer than we were together and that must mean something. "SHE'S COMING AROUND".

Summer again. I go to a very good friend’s wedding. A man who was supposed to arrive with the second wave of reception guests has shown up early. Room for him is made at my table across from me. I like the look of him. I talk with him after dinner and like the sound of him. The night ends and time goes by.

The sister of the groom is friends with the man. She decides he and I are a good match. She conspires to bring us together. She calls us both up two months after the wedding and lies to us.

She tells me: He wanted to know if I was single and can he call me? I say yes.

She tells him: I asked her if he was single and would he like to call me? He says yes.

(Take note, Matchmakers; this is a clever technique. Both parties believing their presence was requested by the other person gives them a handy false sense of security and eliminates the guesswork.)

Like magic he calls and asks me out. We go on our first date on a Friday afternoon at the Art Gallery. Eight months later he gets down on his knee on my kitchen floor at 3 AM and asks me to marry him.

Finally, "ONE PERSON" to be on my side when the world is not, to renew my faith in modern love. Cause for celebration indeed! Sounds simple enough, doesn’t it, but if you’ve been paying attention or are looking for love in this day and age, you know the road to get here is long and complicated and comes with no guarantees. The rest, as they say, is the future. An "INFINITE LIFE OF DAYS".

(End of Essay)

VIDEOS:

I am about to shoot a video for the song "one person" from my new CD with director Christopher Warre Smets. I wrote the song for my husband and hid it from him to sing it for him as a surprise at our wedding. The video will be an intimate choreographed one-shot performance between me and the camera. Christopher and I are also developing a funny video concept to compliment the song "yellowknife".

'TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH':

As promised, all of my North American Summer 04 Afterglow Tour photos have now been posted. The link to see them is on the news/live page at my website. The Leg 1 photos were up in my gallery already but the captions/locations of those shots were not added, so I had my web guy post them again along with the Leg 2 shots, and captions for the whole lot, for your viewing pleasure. Sorry for the delay.

ANY REQUESTS?

My website is getting a beautiful re-design for the new CD, Gallery included. What would you like to see in my new website? Speak now and perhaps your wishes will be done! Leave your comments at the bottom of this entry.

Until next time,
xo KR

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The CD just arrived! Four minutes ago. I will comment again, obviously, but I couldn't wait to tell you the genre that iTunes thinks you are when I put the CD in my computer: Gospel/Religious.

Way to go, Brother KR!

Jennifer

10:53 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me again. Still listening. I'm at work so I can't hear it very well, but I am getting the gist and I definitely get the sentiment. Question. Did he really tell you he didn't love you as he was peeling an orange? Prick.

I once had a guy me he wasn't really into what he was doing as he was cupping my breast. That was a fun time.

3:16 p.m.  
Blogger AKUNAH said...

I would like to see a tour schedule preferably with dates near me!! Do you allow photography at gigs? And perhaps your blog should be on the mainpage? Not separately the way it is now. People might skip whatever news you have to say and only go to the blog?

Also I am glad to hear you plan something funny video wise with Yellow knife. I like that song. Groovy! Now at one of the songs I think it said KR Percussion? How instrumental are you? I know you bought a guitar before or during the Sarah tour? How many new songs have you written so far? I guess you could use a Q& A on ur new site as well? LOL

Peace,

Susanne

Thanks for personally signing it, very sweet! Glad I was able to pick it up at the Mgmt office.

4:09 p.m.  
Blogger Chris said...

Maybe it's just my color-blindness or maybe it's my Mac - but I can't read the comments unless I highlight them.

Oh and a RSS/XML feed off your blog would be good to keep up with you better!

11:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kathryn
I have just ordered 2 CD's (the new one and My Little Flame) hoping that it won't take them too long to get to the UK! I have ordered them purely on the strength of having listened to you supporting Sarah on her Afterglow CD / DVD set. You complement and add so much depth and quality to many of her tracks. I often feel the people that support others don't always get the recognition and thanks they deserve but I'm sure Sarah is generous in her appreciation of what you do.
I'm also sure I won't be disappointed with your CD's and it's always so exciting to come across new artists and music to listen to. I couldn't find buy your CD's through the usual UK on-line and retail outlets.
Anyway, good luck with the new album and I'm sure you will build a good "fan" base in the UK.
Best Wishes
Simon

5:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home