Sunday, August 29, 2004

"Diane, I ordered some hot milk from room service. Here's hoping it does the job and I'll be able to catch a few hours of quality sack time."

August 29/04

It’s 1:47 am. We played in Columbia, OH tonight (good audience) and drove out right after to check into our Cincinnati hotel. We have a day off tomorrow. A day off that is not a travel day is a rare and wonderful thing. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it but my husband recommended doing something out of the ordinary tomorrow. “Like eating in a rotating restaurant?” I asked. “Sure”, he said. If there is one right across the street from here I will see that as a good omen.

I have limited personal reference points to this city. Whenever I hear the word Cincinnatti, after thinking of Bailey, Jennifer, Venus Flytrap and Dr. Fever, I think of my friend Bryden Baird. Some you might know that Bryden is an amazingly talented horn player from Toronto who played in my band and on my albums and has toured with Esthero, Blue Rodeo and many others. For the first 7 years of knowing Bryden I remember him mentioning and phoning a mysterious tap dancer named “Diane” from Cincinnati. This went on for so many years that I began to think of “Diane” as being a fictional character, like the “Diane” to whom Agent Cooper (played by Kyle McLachlan) addressed his dictophone recordings while unravelling the case in David Lynch’s “Twin Peaks”. Bryden is an imaginative person who likes to pass the time on tours by saying and demonstrating such things as: “WHAT IF [these sugar cubes were my front teeth”], or “WHAT IF [this floor lamp was also a drink dispenser”], so he could have been making her up. After many years and reams of dictophone tape, Diane finally moved to Toronto to live with Bryden. I have met her many times and she is fully real but I still like to pretend she is the “Diane” from Twin Peaks, come to life.

In other words I owe it to myself and Diane to see a bit of Cincinnati tomorrow.

Today I called my dad and disconnected by mistake right away, then called right back. After my explanation he said, “You wouldn't believe how many hang-ups we've had the last couple of days. Most of the time I’m just sitting here minding my own business stewing in my own juices and then all of a sudden the whole *!%#-ing world wants to call and hang up on Alan Rose.” I said, “you sure have a colourful way with words, Dad”. He really does. We started laughing and he said, “Oh yeah? Here it is again with a few variations,” which I don’t think I can repeat here.

The other day at the giant mall in Cleveland near our hotel I bought a few pieces of clothing to supplement my onstage wardrobe choices. I tried one of the new things in the next show and when Sarah saw it she said, "oh, I saw that in the mall in burgundy and I thought it was your style." I said, "I bought the burgundy one also!"... "No way!"... "Way"... etc. She's got a good eye, that was funny.

I want to thank the 4 brave people who have commented on my last blog entry so far. At first I thought I had scared everyone off... thank you for your kind words.

Bedtime. Got to get some sack time for my big day in Cincinnati!
xo KR

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve Manfred, River Falls, WI here again. Thank you for 1/4 of the "thank you" in today's blog entry. :) I thought I'd spin you another little story that might be tell-everyone-on-the-bus-able, as it goes to show what a good fan club management Sarah's got.
I snatched up fan club tickets for the St. Paul stop as soon as they became available, for myself and my cousin Jeremy. Keeping in mind how long it's been since Sarah last toured though, I kept my eye out for another show to go see too, and the best bet looked to be Milwaukee for proximity's sake. Unfortunately, my cousin couldn't go to that one too, and as the fan club only sells the special tickets in pairs, I was left looking for someone else who'd want to go all that way. (4+ hour drive from here) Not finding anyone I knew local who wanted to do that, I started posting messages on the fan club board asking if there was anyone who would want to go with me (and thus pick up the cost of the 2nd ticket). And no one answered. So, I tried again a week or two later, and still no one answered. And this went on and on until the day was fast approaching when I knew the fan club would stop their fan club tickets sales, so I put out one last plea. It even said "last call" on it. Within hours, that plea got an answer from a woman named Naomi from Nashville... it seems that she and 2 other friends wanted to go see the Milwaukee show, so they needed 1 spare fan club seat, and as I had one to offer, this would work out great. "Terrific," I emailed back, and then headed over to the fan club site to the ticket-buying area which 2 hours previously had still been open for the Milwaukee show... only to find out they'd just closed it. Aargh! So... I email words of bitter disappointment to Naomi, and also a message to the fan club asking if there was any way they could have mercy on us and telling them this story (which they could certainly verify as all my old messages are still on their board). Well, a "Jennifer" at Nettwerk was incredibly nice to us and said if I got all my info in to her right then she could still squeeze us in, and sure enough, two days later I got the confirmation email (and a check card deduction :) ). This was tremendously nice of her, and assuming I have no car troubles I should be in Milwaukee on Friday to meet this Naomi whom I've never met before and go see the show. Tell everyone, Jennifer at Nettwerk rules! :)
Bye for now. - Steve Manfred, River Falls, WI, fat guy with old brown hat somewhere in rows 1-5 Friday and Saturday. :)

10:10 a.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm so proud of myself that I finally figured out how to post a comment on this thing, and apparently managed to get myself my own personal blog page in the process. Go me on a Monday morning.

Okay, well now that I have your attention, I can say the many things I've wanted to say for a long time (are you scared yet?):

1. The shows are fantastic! (Austin, Houston, and Columbus, Ohio). Yes, I live in Texas, but I flew all the way (and all day) to get to Columbus. I knew after seeing the Texas shows that I was going to be going through withdrawal, so I looked for a show that was playing on a Saturday in some city to which Southwest flies (so I could use my free ticket) and to which there were still fan club tickets available. Welcome to Columbus.

2. I think your voice is beautiful. You and Sarah blend beautifully together.

3. I bought "My Little Flame" (as well as Butterfly's and Luke's albums) at the Columbus show. It's very nice, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

4. Last but not least, your blog entries are hysterical. It makes me feel like I've suddenly been transported from my somewhat predictable life into something akin to Keanu hanging on to the underbelly of the bus on Speed. I know I'm not really supposed to be there, but I'm not planning on leaving (except to get a better seat).

Enjoy the rest of the tour!

10:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Timbuctu86 / Susanne Bitter

Hey Kathryn,

Spoiled as I have been having attended 4 gigs in Australia I am currently in Seattle but travelling to BC and am excited to see you all at the Vancouver gig. Your stories have been entertaining and giving us a glimpse in your life on the road. Thanks again for sharing!! I have been travelling a lot and I seem to have gotten a little habit after reading one of your posts, while you were in Ozz.. You wrote you were taking pictures of birds for your new CD, right? Did you succeed, cause i am noticing how hard it is, as the stupid birds dont bother pausing for me. Every time I try and think I have a great action shit it looks useless on my computer. Maybe I should take one of a pinguin, they dont seem to move so fast....

I read a lot of positive feedback on your singing at Sarah gigs, which I hope reaches you as well? I am really loving your CD and am glad it is for sale so you get to spread your fanbase!

Enjoy the last couple of N American gigs, I will see you in Vancouver and then catch up in Europe as well. Good to see Sarah adapted her tourschedule to my travel plans??!!! Keep up the wonderful stories,

Glowsticks on Row 3 on Sept 10. Whats your fav colour? I will bring one for you too!

Ciao

Susanne
(timbuctu86@hotmail.com)

11:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got done catching up with the newest entries, and I have to say ya had me laughing with the camera entry.

You know I was one of those people when I was much younger trying to get that one pic in from like the 25th row, which never would come out, but I still was told NO PHOTOGRAPHY as I was looking the other way.

Ah those were the days. I am very guilty of taking pics at these shows....I've seen quite a few of them from the front row, and my goodness, there is nothing like seeing a show that close up!

:)

Oh and btw, Me Talk Pretty One Day is a great book, eh? If you are looking for another book to read...try this one if you haven't read it already.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers


--Valerie
psychmjr2004@aol.com

1:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home